Part 2: London to Inverness

We got up bright and early on Sunday morning to catch our flight from London to Inverness. The interesting thing about Heathrow Airport is that you do not know your gate number until about 45 minutes before your flight. So we were waiting… and waiting… and waiting just to see which gate we were supposed to be at. Finally, they announced our gate, and we were in the air after an hour delay.

Inverness is a very small airport, but that didn’t deter us. We had made reservations at the car rental and headed straight to the kiosk. Learning from our last trip to Scotland, I thought it was best to ease into driving on the other side of the road and the other side of the car by heading away from Inverness and driving to Fort George. That allowed Curtis to get used to it again and not jumping right into traffic and “backward” roundabouts.

Fort George is currently the home of the Black Watch, 3rd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland. We toured the grounds… getting a coffee at the cafe and also seeing dolphins first thing! The flowers and grass against the colors of the Fort were so vivid! It was a perfect stop to get us acclimated to the area again.

After leaving the Fort, we headed into Inverness. We found a car park, where we parked (ha) and took off, just wandering and exploring the area. I didn’t have many places saved; I just wanted to fully immerse myself in the town and see everything there was to see….. and boy, we were not disappointed. The rain held off, and we had the best time walking along River Ness and through the old churches.

We spent two days in Inverness before we headed to Glencoe for the Highland Titles Gathering. We hiked to the Fairy Glen Falls and walked along the beaches of Chanonry Point. Leakey’s Bookshop has been in my Instagram saves for years now, and I am happy to say I checked that one off the list as well!! Can you tell I am in my happy place?? We even found an Anytime Fitness! Of course, we had to use the gym!